Event and Subscription in NAV - Business Central

I love the function.
Events and Subscription are modern functions.

Before talking about event and subscription let me start from my inauguration day when I was learning C or C++, I am devoted to function. I adore seeing how main() function is the entry point of any C program. I tried to learn function as much as I could, I explored it more. I reached from functions with argument and without argument, functions with return value and without return value, functions which do pass by value and which do pass by reference. That was my fantastic learning experience.  When I start working on Navision ( Dynamics NAV 5.00) I always tried to play with my favorite 'function'. Also, in later versions, whenever I have to do any modification I used to use function. I love how it make code clear, separate from rest and tie code together with one purpose, remove repeating of code, make it readable and manageable.

In NAV 2016, Microsoft introduces events and subscription. In this modern concept of programming, by using modern function they tried to decouple base code from customized code. They wrote many new events in existing code which was the huge blow in the NAV. As I remember most of us don't give consideration to this new feature and we continued working in our old style - happy style. Some of us tried to use it but we used to forget we were using event and start modification in the code itself or by creating the function and calling from the code. Microsoft, at that time tried to show us the new direction where NAV was heading. Now, we are in business central (BC) and we can see how heavily events and subscription is being used in the extensions.

I cannot explain how important are events and subscription but I can say they are essential. So, if you have not tried it yet, please take some time to explore it and use it in your code.

Post a Comment

Thank you for comment, I really appreciate your view.

–>